Re: Random Movie Talk That Probably Doesn't Deserve Its Own Thread

Yes well, that doesn't help tongue

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Tomahawk wrote:

Richard Marquand's only merit is RotJ.

I thought his turn as an AT-ST driver was superb. I really got a sense of his Imperial arrogance.

Also, fun (?) fact, Richard Marquand died in Tunbridge Wells, which is where I live and am right now.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

you're saying you're responsible?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I think I was 7 at the time. Maybe I had latent psychic powers brought on by exposure to ewoks and I can't remember it because the trauma of escaping Bruce Willis has blocked it.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

...yeah, that must be it.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

*cough* http://downinfront.net/forum/viewtopic. … 1&p=13

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Squiggly_P wrote:

It's official now. Can we talk about it, yet?

As Saniss has pointed out, we've been talking about it for the past couple of days in the other thread.

Can I at least make a lensflaresaber joke?

Sure but only if-

a) you want to be highly unoriginal
b) you want Dorkman to think less of you.

big_smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

So I was watching a movie on Netflix Instant and it ended, but there was stuff playing over the credits. Netflix still made it all small like it's wont to do, and gave me a poster for House of Cards. Then it said, "Watch the trailer in 10, 9, 8..." and there was no option to cancel, so it just killed what I was watching and jumped to a lengthy trailer for House of Cards.

I'm just wondering... Who do we have to kill?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It's always been like that. At least here.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

BigDamnArtist wrote:

It's always been like that. At least here.

It didn't used to do that with movies, the "shrink screen, make related recommendations thing" until sometime early last year, I think. Then later in the year it made it so it autoplays the next episode if you're watching a TV series. This trailer business is all new for me, just now. I watched a movie yesterday and it didn't happen. I'd tolerate something like that from Hulu, but I'm giving Netflix twenty dollars a month...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Netflix UK is £5.99 a month but it counters the cheapness by being shite.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Click on the shrunk screen. It brings it back.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Just watched Quick Change with Bill Murray (who co-directed) and Geena Davis because I remembered that the beginning was a lot of fun even tho I couldn't remember much else. Turns out there's a reason for that.

The whole rest of the movie is about their attempts to get away with their loot, and thing after thing happens to delay them. The problem with a plot like that is that every scene is just random complication after random complication. And since all they're trying to do is get to the airport, it feels very contrived.

The music is good, Murray and Davis are wonderful. Jason Robards is great as the cop on their case. Randy Quaid isn't completely horrible. There's some character development along the way. And the ending is quite clever. But overall, it just falls short a bit because the plotting is so random.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Thanks, Squiggly, for the End of Watch review. Been debating on watching it and now really want to. The "found footage" is sometimes lost on me but this is one film I would actually try to move past that for.
Also, the bad guys are drug cartel members-um, evil is their middle name.

Drug Evil Cartel

Just like that

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I saw Mama tonight. I thought the plot was somewhat interesting but they went too conventional with the scare tactics. Those jump scares based on absolutely nothing are really getting old.

Especially when they happen before anything creepy happens in the movie. It's like the movie is introducing itself saying, "Hey I'm a scary movie, so watch out." The story should do that organically if it's gonna happen. It shouldn't have to let you know what kind of movie it is before it starts.

Also, the characters in these movies need to learn to communicate better. If you're going to walk alone deep into the woods after dark, let someone know. And other things like people being hurt and disabled for the perfect amount of time in order for events to unfold perfectly were a little amusing.

It could have been way better, but despite those quirks I almost really liked it. It took some warming up to though. Like almost the entire film I was like "nah", then near the end I was like "hmmm... go on...", then at the very end I was like "... kay?"

So I guess it wasn't the worst horror film out there. And it's not my favorite genre anyway. If someone were to ask me if they should go see it, I'd probably say "sure."

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Saw Synecdoche, NY on 35mm last night again for the first time since it came out. Still feel it.

Remains one of my favorite films of all time.

I DON'T THINK YOU SHOULD TELL HER SHE DOESN'T HAVE BLOOD

Thumbs up Thumbs down

That movie was brutal. I had to stop it from time to time to gather the patience to go on. I'm sure it had some kind of point, but wow was it lost on me.

I like most of Charlie Kaufman's other stuff, tho.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

I have just pre-ordered this blu ray steelbook-

http://static4.thcdn.com/productimg/0/300/300/81/10665781-1358531290-981917.jpg

Hopefully I'll actually be able to afford it come 25th March.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Squiggly_P wrote:

I wish they'd release decently packaged movies here in the states more often and make them somewhat affordable. Metal cases are extremely rare here, and I've only ever been able to get my hands on a couple of them (Man of Fire and Akira). I've never seen nor heard of a bluray steelcase in the US.

They release them all the bloody time here, even Willow is getting released in one in March! Willow! I currently only have 2, Cabin In The Woods and Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy but I'll try to get more if they're cheap enough. And if they look good. smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Zarban wrote:

[Synechdoche] was brutal. I had to stop it from time to time to gather the patience to go on. I'm sure it had some kind of point, but wow was it lost on me.

I like most of Charlie Kaufman's other stuff, tho.

Team What The Fuck Just Happened At My Face! Woo!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I am not affilliated in any way with this production:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/112 … -the-doors

The VFX Supervisor from "Hunt for Gollum" is involved with this possibly allegorical film about a boy living in an abstract world of hallways and doors, with an old man in the basement discouraging him from discovering more...

5 days remain for their kickstarter...

(UTC-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It looks like Hasbro is pushing MLP to jump the shark in a week or so.

I'm so fucking sad it's unbelievable
:(

Protection and power are overrated. I think you are very wise to choose happiness and love. -Uncle Iroh

Thumbs up Thumbs down

*takes a random leap at google to see what the above might be referring to*

*pretty sure I found it*

Well, okay. 

Buck up, man.  There's a damn war on.

MadBadCoyote wrote:

It looks like Hasbro is pushing MLP to jump the shark in a week or so.

I'm so fucking sad it's unbelievable
sad

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lok6hjZzio1qhafj6.gif
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lu69nbvNWT1r2v6un.gif

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I was kinda referring to this...http://i.imgur.com/BGXOp37.jpg
which I hope isn't true, but the breaking of canon just to sell toys...

I just hope the change in the finale doesn't turn out to be permanent. It's one of the few shows that manages to make me happy nowadays :(

I hope all of this concern is unwarranted.

BigDamnArtist: I posted it in this thread for a reason

Last edited by MadBadCoyote (2013-01-31 02:31:28)

Protection and power are overrated. I think you are very wise to choose happiness and love. -Uncle Iroh

Thumbs up Thumbs down