Topic: Apocalypse, CA DVD.

Bear with me, I'm psyched.

http://apocalypseca.com/wp/wp-content/themes/aca/images/bg/1.jpg

Our buddy Chad Peter's feature film Apocalypse, CA is on pre-sale now, shipping DVDs in the US and Canada on December 12th. It's a wacky, wonderful, beautifully shot dark comedy about a guy spending his last four days before an asteroid strikes the earth learning to be a person. And a...truly, an awful lot of wacky hijinks ensue. It's certainly not a broad comedy, you might not even noticing that you're grinning the whole time, but it's a light hearted telling of a dark hearted person's account of the apocalypse.

http://apocalypseca.com/wp/wp-content/themes/aca/images/bg/3.jpg

A lot of fun. Anyway.

Yep, that's Mr. Finifter at the 0:26 mark.

Me and Ryan Wieber did the effects on the movie, at least the ones you'll notice - Chad himself did a shit-ton of dustbusting and rig removal type stuff, but we were called in for massive FX sequences involving giants, explosions, asteroids, etc. - and in addition to that, Chad is the guy from our UHF and Mulholland Drive commentaries. It's a DIF family movie! And it's available on presale now for not much money. I'm a big fan of the flick (there's a magic bean issue, but we discuss it in the commentaries*), and super proud of the thing. It's a mix of Donnie Darko and Armageddon. And Garden State. If those three things could possibly become one movie.

http://apocalypseca.com/wp/wp-content/themes/aca/images/bg/9.jpg

The asterisk up there is that - oh yeah, by the way, this DVD comes stock with TWO commentaries from Down in Front. Or, sort of Down in Front. Me hosting two conversations with Chad, the director, and Ryan, a long time cohort and visual effects lead on the film, and they're both just stellar. The first one is loosey-goosey and generically about the making-of and VFX stuff, between laughs and funny ACA-related tangents, and the second one - also featuring Cloe Z - is literally a step-by-step "how to make a movie like this" tutorial, with leading questions by me, through writing to casting to investors to shooting and photography to editing to release.

http://apocalypseca.com/wp/wp-content/themes/aca/images/bg/10.jpg

Really valuable, useful fucking stuff, on a handsome DVD with a solid (beautiful) movie with an original score by Avi Ghosh, a heavy hitter in the underground industrial atmospheric music world. I'm so proud of this thing, and psyched it's finally going to be seen by people. I hope some of y'all get interested enough to buy it and enjoy all of the wonderful content. One hundred percent of the money of the purchase goes right back to the people who made the film, including me. (Like, 1% of it goes to me.)

If you have any questions or anything, feel free to ask, I'm psyched to talk ACA all day long with anybody.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Apocalypse, CA DVD.

Available outside the US/Canada?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

huh..

*add to Birthday list*

"Life is about movies; anything else is a bonus!"- Me   cool

I was just about to order Alien vs Predator.  This seems like a much better use of my money.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Fixed, Chad has already sold it off to a foreign distributor, I think, we don't know their plans. I also think.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Definitely buying this, if only for the assuredly weird experience of hearing DiF on a real DVD.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm sold. I love supporting clever, original indie productions. This looks like a great mix.

Thought about this the other day and was wondering if it was out yet.

Then thought about these forums some other other day and figured I should try to be more present.

Ordered and hi.

Check and check.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Hey hey hey.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I just sold the camera this was shot on.  Heh.

- Branco

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It's shipping!

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It's like Christmas!

Oh.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Got it today! Watched the film and the available commentary back to back. Got kind of drunk at the goading of the nice letter that came with the disc and repeated suggestion of the commentarians so will have to be brief for now. But fucking bravo everyone, really really enjoyed it.

Indie films need to be more this way.

Last edited by paulou (2011-12-16 06:46:29)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

AWESOME!!!!!!!!

All of that. Just. Big AWESOME!!!!!!!

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I got mine a few days ago. Real busy with work but I plan on watching it over break. I'm looking forward to seeing it!

dkcecil wrote:

I got mine a few days ago. Real busy with work but I plan on watching it over break. I'm looking forward to seeing it!

Seconded, I have it sitting on my TV waiting for me to get more than a "tired after work time to crash" evening to sit an enjoy it.

This is going on the list for the holiday week off along with Tinker, Tailor & Tintin, of movies I need to see.

See what I've worked on recently here:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2869151/
And ways to get in touch with me at:
http://www.google.com/profiles/SethBrower

Just watched. So this is how Californians will react to the end of the world? The rest of us will eat you with barbecue sauce.

Fantastic accomplishment. Terrific acting; great visual effects; really good lighting and camera work. Very professional looking.

However, was it supposed to funny? Because it had body switching and giants and stuff but it was mostly depressing.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Dude, you should meet Chad. You have no idea.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Teague, how does this factor into your "I'd rather watch [blank] then another body switch movie"  tongue

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

HA. I hadn't thought of that. Ope.

Oh well, I'd still rather see another Inception. Fuck Chad Peter, and you can tell him I said that. His momma dresses him funny.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I would argue it had body switching, but wasn't a body switch movie.

And if we're fucking things, fuck Inception.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah, fuck Inception!

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

ohai chad

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

The movie is on iTunes now. I highly recommend you buy the DVD, but if you insist on going through iTunes, PM me and I might be able to hook you up with some commentaries.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Checked it out on iTunes.  It was awesome.  I'll grab a DVD soon... Maybe I can grab on in person in a couple weeks.

- Branco

Thumbs up Thumbs down