Topic: Thor

I've only just now had a look at the trailers for Thor. Coupla things...

• Norse gods speak with English accents of varying quality, for some reason.

• Odin casts Thor out of Asgard because he has "opened these peaceful realms ... to the horror and devastation of war" Isn't war exactly what pagan Norse society was ALL ABOUT?!

• There is, in the trailer mind you, a scene in which Kat Dennings is amazed at how much Thor can eat. IN THE TRAILER.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Re: Thor

Is the fact he can eat a lot somehow important to the plot? Or am I missing something?

EDIT: I should point out, that I've heard nothing but good things about Thor

EDIT EDIT:

"When I saw the trailer, the part when I really cracked up is when Anthony Hopkins scolds his son for bringing on war," she said. "But Odin in mythology starts wars, creates strife."

Kaplan explained that in Norse mythology, the gods are usually battling the giants. "During these constant battles with giants, Odin creates strife," she said. "But he's not a hand-to-hand combat guy like Thor. Odin's contribution is frequently gathering knowledge and prophecy and magic stuff. His associations are with warfare, strife, poetry and the type of magic that men are not supposed to do."

From: http://www.newsarama.com/film/thorsday- … 10505.html

EDIT EDIT EDIT:As far as the accents, would you rather they spoke in old norse?

Worth a read.

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2011-05-06 08:00:35)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Spoilers. I'm gonna blow my wad right now, so I guess the real spoilers are for the eventual DIF episode more than the film.

Disclaimery: it's past my bedtime, and I've only seen this movie once. Also, I'm mad at myself for staying up writing this, so bitchiness will ensue.

I wasn't going to start a thread, because honestly - fuck it, I just don't care that much - but as far as I'm concerned, Thor was nigh abysmal. This is what I said to the group at the showing I went to, as well as to Twitter: "I didn't understand who anyone was, what they wanted, what stood in their way, what the stakes were, or what ultimately happened." The rest of this post resides on my read at the time, which could either be accurate, or based on me missing a whole lot of crucial information repeatedly.

In...four cases, I knew who a character was. Literally knew. As in, "they are so and so, and they do this." There's probably twelve or fifteen recurring faces in this movie. And for all of them - even those four - as far as the story was concerned, I didn't know any of them. Why they were there, what they were doing, or why.

This is where I need to be clear: there are answers to my problems, as listed above. I'm not saying Natalie Portman shows up and never introduces herself*, I'm saying I never understand who the fuck she is, or why she's in the movie and you aren't. This is a development problem, not a lack-of-detail problem. That said, detail was also pretty lacking.

*she actually doesn't, but I'll assume I'm being unfair - that said, as far as I'm aware, she's in the movie because she was in the desert at the beginning of the movie...because the movie needed her to have a job that required her being in the desert...so she could be in the movie...because they needed her in the movie...turtles all the way down)

I don't want to dwell on Nat Nat or any character in particular, but something must also be said for Thor. As a character, not as a collection of things the movie says about the character, here's what I know about him. He is one of two sons of Anthony Hopkins, and he wants to be the king that his father is. We learn by seeing in the beginning introductory period that he is also either irrational, retarded, or deliberately obtuse. (And by the way, movie, it's probably not a good idea to start throwing in aberrant behavior on the part of your characters when we don't exactly understand the universe to begin with. I couldn't tell if it was you being dumb and not assuming I might need help with this, or Thor himself.) In any case, because of a little history we know that the bad guys are bad, and years later when one of the bad guys does something bad, Thor upsets the delicate diplomatic balance and goes off to rape all of the bad guys individually to show them why they shouldn't be bad guys in a movie about him. This results in him being cast out of his world, because Anthony Hopkins is...wise. I think his reasoning was that Thor was just fucking his shit up. I buy it. Tell me about Thor's redemption.

And I wait. More on this later, moving down the list: what anyone wanted.

Not being an asshole, going to list what I know about the motivations for the characters right now. Thor wants to get back because it's his world. Loki wants...apparently...to be king, because who doesn't, amirite lol. Anthony Hopkins wants...things to stay diplomatic in Thortopia, I guess. Natalie wants... Stellan Skarsgard wants... Kat Dennings wants... SHIELD guy wants...

...wait, but Thor's four friends want him to come back because Simba is the only one who can overthrow Scar. (I think.) Loki is fucking up hometown, Thor can stop it, if only...

Item number three: I don't know what's standing in anyone's way.

It's hard to be specific about what stands in the way of these characters, because I'm no-kidding a little unsure of what they're all individually trying to accomplish to begin with. Thor can't go back because he was thrown out. I'm not aware of, and I'm pretty sure the movie doesn't refer to, a way he can get back on the good graces of his dad or people - let alone literally transport himself back. If he can, I don't know how he can, and thusly don't know what he has to do to pull it off. In other words, for an hour and a half, I have no fucking idea what he's trying to overcome.

Natalie's shit gets all retarded in the face of SHIELD guy, who steals it, because he showed up. (It does not appear to be more complicated than that, and I didn't even mention that I'm not sure how he knew to come or what he was gonna do when he got there. I think he's just kind of a douche. I'm not sure.) Loki comes back to tell Thor he's wicked fucked (but he's a bad guy, remember, so he's lying) and Thor goes "but I already was fucked," and now as the audience we know that our hero was a dick, got kicked out, and now has no recourse. Awesome, I can't wait to see how he pulls off his lack of recourse.

*popcorn*

Before moving on, let me make an important point. The biggest problem with the movie is the cause of these symptoms, not the symptoms themselves. I didn't know what was going on. Not in a Transformers way, where the movie is clearly improvising, but in a story way. I understand Luke, even though it's a god damned alien planet, I feel his pain when his relatives are dead, I know who did it, and I understand that he's learning from Obi Wan ways to eventually fight back. I later understand that he has to destroy the Death Star, or else the people that killed Owen and Beru are going to kill not only a lot more people, but the only remaining line of opposition to these bad dudes. When the final action sequence happens, I know the rules, I know the motivations, and I know what has to happen for my boy to win. As I watch it happen, every shot is a victory or a setback in some way, that I understand as it's happening.

You can tell me what Natalie's job title was, but you can't invent a different experience for me watching the film. Ultimately, a first time viewer had no particular understanding of who she was, what she wanted, what stood in her way, what the stakes were, or what she accomplished. Repeat Thor, repeat Loki, repeat SHIELD guy, repeat all of them. The movie was clearly happening, but I wasn't engaged-engaged. Engaged the way you'd be watching a sequel without having seen the original, sure - trying to fucking keep up and appreciate the setpieces - but not engaged the way you are when you know how completely fucked Luke is the moment before Han shows up, and certainly not engaged the way you are when he yells "yahoo" and surprises us by saving Luke's sorry ass. (Not to put too fine a point on it, but not engaged the way you are when you know Tony Stark is going to be killed right now if he doesn't make it out of Afghanistan, either.)

Stakes. I'm seeming more and more sarcastic as this post continues, but believe me, it's because each point is building on the last and it makes for a flimsy foundation. Straight up, I have no idea what would happen if Thor failed at whatever he was doing. (Whatever he was doing.) Would Earth be...destroyed? Conquered? Something about gas prices or taxes, maybe, would it be different? I didn't know what the downside was of Thor not winning. (Winning whatever it was he was winning.) I didn't know what would have happened to Thortopia, either. The bad guys would have taken over? Tell me the next thing. Not to be a bitch, but I would care because:         

Finally, what ultimately happened. Spoiler: it all works out, the movie seems to feel like Thor, who has learned to change his ways through trial, error and understanding (not to blow your mind, but this doesn't happen either) finally redeemed himself enough to return to battle his brother and save his world and ours from...well, whatever it was, I'm sure it was important...and the credits rolled. I walked out of the theater saying "god damn, it's a good thing Thor was around."

Who they were, what they wanted, what stood in their way, what the stakes where, what happened.

You think that's nitpicking? This is nitpicking: why do they have horses.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

maul2 wrote:

EDIT EDIT EDIT:As far as the accents, would you rather they spoke in old norse?

I want them to sound like Victor Borge.

Who am I kidding? I want EVERYONE to sound like Victor Borge.

Zarban wrote:

Odin casts Thor out of Asgard because he has "opened these peaceful realms ... to the horror and devastation of war" Isn't war exactly what pagan Norse society was ALL ABOUT?!

I know, right?! He should be all like "ASGARD FUCK YEAH" and throwing mead and whores at Thor for startin somethin. Dying in battle was the ONLY THING Vikings thought was worth their time. When did Odin become a fuckin liberal? I like it in my real politicians but NOT MY WARRIOR GOD-KINGS.

SOME SPOILERS AFOOT

Anyway, I pretty much agree with Teague's post. Scene-to-scene, character objectives are clear. How things add up (or rather, don't) is where the film falls apart.

The premise-writing formula I've heard is "What does the hero want, what's standing in his way, and what terrible thing will happen if he doesn't succeed?"

When you apply that to THOR, you get this:

What does Thor want: To reclaim his power (in the form of his hammer) and return to Asgard.
What's standing in his way: Ultimately, his own arrogance, which has made him unworthy of the power (IOW he has to learn great responsibility to earn back his great power). And also S.H.I.E.L.D., I guess. Sort of. Not really.
What terrible thing will happen if he doesn't succeed: ...you got me there. I have no idea.

I mean, okay, you've got Loki usurping the throne from Odin (at least the movie treats it that way, but he's actually got the legitimate claim; see below) and giving Asgard over to the Frost Giants. Let's leave aside for a moment that he's not actually doing that and pretend he is. What if Asgard was taken by the Frost Giants? I mean, that sucks for Asgard, but how does that suck for Earth? Anybody? I guess the Frost Giants would start attacking Earth again, since Asgard is apparently all that stands between them and us. But how did the Frost Giants get to Earth before without the Bifrost?

Now let's come back to the part where he's actually not letting the Frost Giants take over Asgard. Why the fuck does he pretend he is? Just to amuse himself by punking the Frost Giants? He doesn't seem amused, he seems like he's going to fucking cry in just about every scene. To impress his father by defeating/destroying them? Even accepting that Odin can see and hear everything even while he's in a coma (oh, did I not mention he's in a coma? Because he is, for no reason. Except that there'd be no movie if he wasn't), how does Loki expect to impress his father and show up Thor by doing the exact thing that got Thor banished to begin with? And why does he try to destroy Thor and Earth when all he has to do to win is leave them alone?

The climax of the movie comes down to Thor trying to stop Loki from destroying the Frost Giants' planet with the Asgardian rainbow bridge, which is for some reason a rainbow laser when Loki wants it to be. This is like Aragorn deciding he has to stop Frodo from destroying the Ring -- not because he's being mind-controlled by Sauron or the Ring's power, but because he's decided that Orcs are people too -- and we're expected to root for Aragorn despite the rest of the story. The Frost Giants are the enemies of Asgard and that's all we ever know about them. They also have nothing to do with Earth. Earth is not threatened in any way by the outcome of the film's climax.

Thor succeeds: Earth is fine. Thor fails: Earth is fine. Why is Earth even IN this movie?

Asgard is fine in both scenarios, too, for that matter. If Thor never returns to Asgard, Loki pretends to be giving Asgard to the Frost Giants but isn't, and wipes them out of the universe completely. The threat of the Frost Giants eliminated, Asgard is peaceful for the rest of eternity under Loki's legitimate rule. Odin banished Thor and then fell into a coma, both of his own accord -- if their system of passing the crown works anything like ours, Loki is the heir to the throne when he takes it.

So the only thing threatened at the climax of this movie is the planet of the faceless bad guys. None of our characters are in any danger, short or long term, at all.

Wanted to like this. Was looking forward to liking it based on the reviews. There is genuine humor in the movie and the characters all felt like real people, to Branagh's credit. But what they want, and why we should want it too, doesn't ever connect.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'll freely admit ignorance with regard to Norse myths and the Marvel version of Thor (and it may be that the movie is totally consistent with the comics), but Neil Gaiman in 'Sandman' had Odin fearing final battle as everyone was going to die and while fighting is good living forever is better smile Naturally he also had Thor hitting on women by saying that if they rubbed his hammer it would get bigger, so I'm not sure it was a fully accurate take on the characters regardless.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

DorkmanScott wrote:

The premise-writing formula I've heard is "What does the hero want, what's standing in his way, and what terrible thing will happen if he doesn't succeed?

What they want, and why we should want it too, doesn't ever connect.

I have truly missed these types of reviews. Story > else. I'll pass for now - appreciate the notes!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

^ I concur, in fact now I feel like I kind of need to see it, just to get in on the conversation.

i'd be interested in seeing what Eddie has to say since he's sorta the comic guy of the group.  I was sorta a comic person when i was younger, but i never got into Thor.  Never got into Iron Man either, but i got what was going on in the first flick.  I think it'd be a good experiment for me to see this movie just to see how it works having no knowledge of the books.  It almost sounds like you need to have knowledge of Who Thor and all the other Characters are going in to this...

Hopefully Captain America isn't like that. 

And i have to say, this was why I think I enjoyed Spider-Man when it first came out, i knew the character from the books for 10 plus years going in...

Daredevil though was abysmal! There only needed to be one majic bean in that flick to make it work!

Last edited by switch (2011-05-07 15:57:28)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

EDIT to post thoughts.

Finally saw it with my buddy Sean on Saturday night so I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents. 

To start, I want to clarify my position on something that, sadly, is tainting the conversation of Marvel's recent slate, and making criticism of these films a bit muddled: The Avengers.  Yes, I am an avid Comic reader.  No, I'm not going batshit over the very thought of The Avengers happening.  If I do buy into the pre release hype over a comic movie, its only over what I know is possible with the character and/or world that is being adapted.  Lots of comic movies get made and most dont do much for me.  But some characters are deep wells to mine from.  For instance, I was equally excited as the idea of an Iron Man movie as I was a Punisher movie.  Both characters are rich, have a deep backstory to delve into, and are potential acting and directing showcases.  Well, one movie hit it on all cylinders from casting to story to creating a world, and one certainly failed in all three of those.  But in either case, those movies were created because someone LOVED those characters and thought they could support their own film.  While you could certainly say that Thor has a rich backstory, is an interesting character, and lives in a cool little world, the fact of the matter is this movie exists for one reason: to put him in the Avengers.  Not only that, but the script and film have to be structured around these immovable little breadcrumbs that are meant to dovetail into Captain America and later, The Avengers (cosmic cube, odin's armory, and Hawkeye all appear in Thor to set up plot points of Cp and Avengers).  This is bad for a few reasons.  One, it makes telling the story a little harder, but it also affects the criticism of it.  Any deficiency in the film will be hanged, rightly or wrongly, on the fact that this movie is being tied to another.  I see a lot of folk make very well articulated points of contention with the film, but a lot of it concludes in "...because they're trying to sell me on another movie."  I think Thor has plenty of problems, in that I agree.  But very little of it has to do with The Avengers, and I'll explain why.  I also want to say that Thor never has been at the top of my pull list of monthly comics.  He's a character that is largely writer dependent, as the wrong writer can make him woefully boring.  It's similar to Superman, that when you have a character that fucking strong, it becomes harder to challenge him.  Unlike Supes, Thor has no real weakness.  So I wasn't counting down this movie like I was Iron Man or am now with Green Lantern (god help me).   

Unlike Teague and Dorkman, I knew exactly who each of the Asgardian characters were, and what their motivations were.  In brief:

ODIN:  Wants peace.  Not afraid to smack a civilization down BUT NOT ERADICATE IT (this is important) in order to keep it.  This is illustrated in the opening story by Odin going to war with the Frost Giants but letting the king live.  He hates war, but is good at it, and most importantly all his actions are directed towards securing peace. His very act of adopting Loki is motivated by by this.  The movie hinges on Odin's desire for no war, and I buy it.

THOR:  Idolizes his father, but for the wrong reasons (as a child he wants to hear.  He's loyal, hot tempered, and definitely good at fighting, which he enjoys too much.  Anthony Hopkins has a look that works very well for me.  Its when Thor enters for his coronation.  Odin sees his son showing off and realizes, "Shit he's not ready..." and is almost relieved when they get interrupted.  When the Frost Giants first sneak in, Thor is ready to throwdown because to him, the idea of warfare is kingly, and that will make him more like his father, who he adores.  The banishment makes sense because Thor almost plunged Asgard back into war, and when scolded by his father, Thor says something awful, motivated by anger and frustration that he never got to demonstrate his own power and ability to make king like decisions.  Again, his definition of leadership is a false one, one that he "learns," (sorta, we'll get to that later) over the course of the film.

LOKI:  Wants to have the love and respect Thor gets.  Wants his father's respect more than anything.  This motivates every one of his actions.  Mike had a problem with Loki suddenly killing the Frost Giant King (his blood father) but that actually worked for me.  Loki is the god of LIES and MISCHIEF for f's sake.  He doesn't want to rule over Yottenheim, shit is cold there.  He HAS an awesome Kingdom.  He wanted to save his father's life in front of his mom (and his Dad.  They establish that Odin is aware during the Odinsleep) and BE the HERO that Thor was supposed to be.  He doesn't want Asgard to burn.  He wants to rule it, and destroy any trace of where he really comes from, which, Dorkman, in and of itself is a very bad thing that a HERO would want to stop regardless of wether or not doing so would destroy the bridge that his blank slate of a girlfriend is on the other side of.  Loki is my favorite character in the entire movie, and even though a villain, in many ways he's the most sympathetic.  Homeboy just wants love and respect from the people who had lied to him his whole life....but he'd commit genocide to get it, and therefore HAS to be stopped. 

Now...I gained none of this from the comics, because I never really read Thor with any sincerity.  Most of Thor's comics are about his adventures on earth, anyway.  I got all this from the same movie that Dorkman and Teague saw.  Where I consider the film fails is not on the Asgardian drama, but on the earth side of things.  Specifically, with the single most important relationship in the movie that is supposed to be the vertex that the titular characters arc hinges on.

Yes, Natalie, I'm looking at you.  Unlike Teague, I will unleash the full might of my hate cannon on her character.  She is underwritten, under motivated, and holds NO chemistry with Thor.  This is a huge problem for the movie, as in order for Thor to become Thor-y again.  He has to learn humility.  How does he learn it?  Some legit bad news about his Dad, and making eggs for Stellan Skaaaarrrassssgaaaaaaaaard, and finally throwing himself in front of the Destroyer.  Sorry folks, not enough.  Movie, I need more steps in between to see Thor gradually learn humility.  If I can't buy Thor learning humility, then I can't buy him getting his powers back for the big win.  Jane as a character is practically a cypher.  The only real Avengers intrusion is in this stuff, and it just comes off random and rambling.  I like Kat Dennings, but her character should've been called QUIP-A-TRON 9000, as all she's good for is mispronouncing Mjolnir.  That and her offensively hot titties. 

Yeah, Thor's whole arc is tied to him growing through a love interest.  Seeing the world through her eyes, realizing that peace is worth protecting, and discovering that a King's job is to serve the people and not rule them would have made this movie awesome.  Jane is supposed to do all these things and none.  Of.  It.  Works.  I liked the movie, mostly, but anytime Thor drew Yggdrassil on a notebook, or made eggs or whatever, I didn't give the tiniest of shits, and I was supposed to.  Jane exhibits no personality traits that would seem to intrigue, let alone attract the God of Thunder.  But the movie decided that she should, so she did....kinda....but she didn't really.

So I don't disagree that the film had problems, but just not quite all the ones Teague and Mike were saying.  Teague asked me on IM why Iron Man worked for him and not Thor.  It worked because as an audience you buy the relationships that motivate the change in the title character.  The actions he takes to become a better person are interesting as a result, and the final fight is that character DEFENDING his new outlook as well as innocents or a girl or whatever.

To wit:  Tony Stark is a genius who makes weapons and sees no problem with that.  Until he is attacked and kidnapped, and watches soldiers and innocent people dying from his creations.  He meets a good man who DEMONSTRATES selflessness by saving his life twice, and challenges him to do better.  Tony then returns home to those who love him (Pepper and Rodhey) determined to be a better man and make a difference.  As he pieces together his armor, his internal self is changing that change is represented physically as he creates a new self (the armor) to combat the old one (Stark weapons in terrorist hands).  In the end, he fights an older shadow of himself (Obie, who wants to exploit Toney's armor) and saves lives in doing so.  When he finally says, "I am Iron Man," its not out of hubris, its him showing the world, "Look, I've changed."

We buy all of this because of the relationships in Toney's life. We buy his relationship to Pepper, who always saw this good in him.  To Yinzen, who teaches Tony the value of life and second chances.  To Obidiah, which deteriorates as Tony matures.  When Tony demonstrates behavior that progresses his arc, its usually scenes with these people the preceede him armoring up and kicking ass.

Compare that to Thor, and while many of those elements ARE there as I listed, the scenes with his human relationships just dither on and fall flat.  If you don't buy those, huge chunks of the movie don't work.

Last edited by Eddie (2011-05-09 20:52:33)

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

*reads*

*thinks*

Yep.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

so how would we go about fixing the Earth section of the movie?  I think a good place to start woul be to put Thor in the body of Donald Blake like Odin did in the comic.  That way you can establish Jane as a compassionate nurse who cares for those less fortunate, again, like in the comic.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I agree.  The trailer for Captain America has a great line where Stanly Tucci answers Chris Evans who asks, "Why me?"

"Because a weak man knows the value of strength." 

There ya go Thor, there's your movie.  Put Thor in Donald Blake's crippled body, have him help people, Jane falls in love with the content of Thor's character.  Instead of having Kat Dennings remind us how hot he is every few minutes.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Astroninja Studios wrote:

He doesn't want Asgard to burn.  He wants to rule it, and destroy any trace of where he really comes from, which, Dorkman, in and of itself is a very bad thing that a HERO would want to stop regardless of wether or not doing so would destroy the bridge that his blank slate of a girlfriend is on the other side of.  Loki is my favorite character in the entire movie, and even though a villain, in many ways he's the most sympathetic.  Homeboy just wants love and respect from the people who had lied to him his whole life....but he'd commit genocide to get it, and therefore HAS to be stopped.

This might be a core issue, for me. The problem is that the Frost Giants are so underdeveloped that I don't really see it as committing genocide. I literally see it as practically equivalent to trying to exterminate all the spiders in ARACHNOPHOBIA. Or even the Orcs in LOTR (doesn't help that they look very similar). The good guys could have killed every last one of the Orcs in Middle Earth, on screen, and based on the way the story was constructed, they still would have been HEROES.

I'm totally cool if Thor wants to learn the value of life no matter what its form, but that sure as hell wasn't a journey he went on in this movie. Maybe the movie could have done a thing where he thought every creature that wasn't Asgardian was contemptible, and maybe had a poor impression of humans from wars fought or whatever, so that in spending time with humanity and learning we're not all like that, he would be able to extrapolate that, holy crap, maybe the Frost Giants aren't all alike either. Then I could buy his concern for them. But the Frost Giants had nothing to do with what he went through, and like you said yourself, his time on Earth was fraught with emptiness and nothing to drive him as a character.

Part of the problem was that there was a lot going on in Asgard but once Thor got to Earth we spent most of our time there. Fair enough, since he's the titular character, but I think the Asgard story was far more interesting and wish that had been the majority, even the entirety, of the movie, and clearly developed all the things that instead we had to read between the lines.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Astroninja Studios wrote:

Yes, Natalie, I'm looking at you.  Unlike Teague, I will unleash the full might of my hate cannon on her character.  She is underwritten, under motivated, and holds NO chemistry with Thor.  This is a huge problem for the movie, as in order for Thor to become Thor-y again.  He has to learn humility.  How does he learn it?  Some legit bad news about his Dad, and making eggs for Stellan Skaaaarrrassssgaaaaaaaaard, and finally throwing himself in front of the Destroyer.  Sorry folks, not enough.  Movie, I need more steps in between to see Thor gradually learn humility.  If I can't buy Thor learning humility, then I can't buy him getting his powers back for the big win.  Jane as a character is practically a cypher.  The only real Avengers intrusion is in this stuff, and it just comes off random and rambling.  I like Kat Dennings, but her character should've been called QUIP-A-TRON 9000, as all she's good for is mispronouncing Mjolnir.  That and her offensively hot titties.

DorkmanScott wrote:

This might be a core issue, for me. The problem is that the Frost Giants are so underdeveloped that I don't really see it as committing genocide. I literally see it as practically equivalent to trying to exterminate all the spiders in ARACHNOPHOBIA. Or even the Orcs in LOTR (doesn't help that they look very similar). The good guys could have killed every last one of the Orcs in Middle Earth, on screen, and based on the way the story was constructed, they still would have been HEROES.

DorkmanScott wrote:

Part of the problem was that there was a lot going on in Asgard but once Thor got to Earth we spent most of our time there. Fair enough, since he's the titular character, but I think the Asgard story was far more interesting and wish that had been the majority, even the entirety, of the movie, and clearly developed all the things that instead we had to read between the lines.

So our problem seems to be that the movie is trying to develop three different worlds, and doesn't spend enough time in any of them, leaving you unsatisfied and indifferent at the end.

"ShadowDuelist is a god."
        -Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Very interesting discussion. My thoughts are similar to Eddie's, except I've read quite a few Thor comics and am a huge fan of the characters (Conan, Thor and Punisher are the only ongoing comics I get these days). That doesn't make me an authority, I'm just pointing out that I had a lot of expectations going in.

I enjoyed the movie alot, but when it ends there's definitely a sense of 'wait, is that it?' It feels truncated, like we're watching an action-focused cut rather than a complete story. It feels like we go from arrogant Thor to making breakfast Thor too quickly.

What the film needs is for Thor to want to change himself to make Jane want him. As it stands, his arrogant and cocky nature are almost attractive to Jane, so he doesn't have to change to get the girl. Thor never has that 'this woman I like doesn't like me, why?' moment of self-reflection. He never truly realises that he's arrogant. His transformation is only that he becomes self-less. That to me is only half the arc. Thor isn't worthy to be king because of a number of character flaws, but the story doesn't tackle them all.   

What the film also needs is to get rid of the pseudo-LOTR opening and the presentation of the frost giants as one-dimensional orc-like beings intent on wanton destruction. They need to have a valid story of their own. The war with the Asgardians needs to be more about a pre-determined fate than about good vs evil. With the relevation that their King does know about the infiltration mission at the start, any hint of them being a race with their own problems is thrown out the window. As a result, Odin's reluctance for war seems odd, and the audience is left questioning why Thor shouldn't go off and bust heads. They don't see why Thor was wrong. If you can't really agree that a character is flawed, it somewhat undermines the ensuing transformation. And as others have said, Thor's turnaround to not wanting that race destroyed is made puzzling because at no point have we had any hint that the frost giants are redeemable. Thor hasn't had a revelation that they aren't the boogeymen he's grown up wanting to fight. There's a definite disconnect there, as if his experience with humans should have informed him of the worth of other races. Considering there was a line in a trailer where he says something like 'oh no, this is earth isn't it', I suspect that there are some deleted scenes that perhaps could make this whole thing make more dramatic sense.

All the problems I feel come from the story though - the acting, directing, art design and action were all great. Some of the Odin-Thor-Loki stuff especially was great. The whole Loki character and his story was probably its strongest point. It took unexpected turns and for me was geniunely moving and sympathetic.

There's a masterpiece in there somewhere. I really hope that there's a director's cut coming.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I don't understand why there would be ANY story in Asgard. The purpose for Thor to get thrown out of Asgard is to get him to earth, where he can have adventures. Then Loki comes to earth to harass and harange him. The whole idea of kingly succession among the gods is weird. Odin is king of the gods and will be (in a coma) until the end of time (Ragnarok). He's not going to get old and die, so sucession should be moot.

Anyway, succession among gods of pantheistic religions is usually bloody and often involves castration and cannibalism. (I'm thinking of Kronos and those other prehistoric Greek gods that became titans.)

Would you prefer it to be The Lion King, mayhaps?

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Isn't it already The Lion King? Doesn't Thor sing "I Just Can't Wait to Be King"? And if you combine the names "Scar" and "Asgard", you get "Skarsgard". That shit ain't a coincidence, man....

I'm referring to the development of Simba when he has to leave the kingdom and discovers the joys of not-being-there, structure wise.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Saw Thor. Didn't hate it. Will probably forget that I saw it within a month.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah, I think we're all in agreement over what didn't work, I think its just a matter of some other things working better for.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Okay, I saw Thor on Saturday. I liked it pretty well; somewhere between Iron Man and Iron Man 2. The motivations of the characters were kind of thin, but fairly clear. Portman wants her science-y stuff back and is hot for Thor's muscley body, and Thor wants to get back into Asgard and deserve it. I thought the grab-the-hammer moment was particularly well done; it told me a lot about his emotional state without explaining it in words.

However, I had little to no idea who Thor's Asgardian friends were. I recall him saying the female warrior "Sif" but beyond that, I was as clueless as the SHIELD agents. I was also immediately tired of seeing the Asgardians get their asses handed to them, first by frost giants, then by Odin's magic furnace robot Destroyer thing. Seriously, how was that thing supposed to make any sense?

Loki's plan seemed pretty muddy, especially after he seemed to get what he wanted. But most of all, I just didn't go for the whole passing-of-the-crown-from-Odin-to-Thor idea that the movie was built on. Odin was king for 2000 years; is that just how long Asgardians live? I want my gods timeless and endless until Ragnarok.

Okay, here's the only thing that really jumped out at me (although I agree with all the other problems previously raised). Why the he'll does Thor suddenly care so much about the lives of the Frost Giants? I think Dorkman already brought this up, but it's a point that bears repeating. Here's what he should have done. He should have allowed Loki to destroy the Frost Giants. Imagine the thematic resonance when Thor realizes that the villain of the movie is right, and that the morally right thing to do is to help him. You guys talk all the time on Down in Front about how the villain is better if he/she actually has a decent point. But that doesn't work if the hero originally shared that point, and if the hero's arc involves him changing his views on that issue. If SERENITY had started out with Mal as an Alliance officer, we wouldn't have seen that the Operative was making a good point, because the entire point of the movie would have been dissuading us from that opinion.

And as for why this movie has Earth in the first place, that's just so that they don't have to do all of that "Thor on Earth" crap in The Avengers.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I agree that that's sloppy. But I don't think it's a huge leap to think that Thor learning that "might does not make right" would lead him to decide they should not annihilate the entire frost giant race. How simple do we really want our movies to be?

The real mistake was probably in portraying the frost giants as blue orc monsters. If they looked more like humans and Asgardians, the connection would be clearer.

SPOILER --> Plus, Loki's parentage would make more sense.