Topic: Cultural Exchange

*This started as a response to redxavier's comment about how I posted the wrong map in the Master and Commander show notes.  It occurred to me that since we have listeners in other parts of the world, and I for one have a great deal of interest in learning about other cultures, that we should have a thread for cultural awareness.  What follows is my response from the  Master and Commander thread.*

redxavier wrote:

Just a head's up, that map shows Briton (i.e., Celtic) territories in the 6th century, not Anglo- Saxon.

Thanks for the clarification, and the history lesson.  (The map came from the same Wiki article about Anglo-Saxon England.) 

Even as someone who has studied the Arthurian Legend and has a keen interest in the UK and its people and culture, it's easy to get confused by these things.  I certainly meant no disrespect. 

Perhaps you could also help us understand the use of the term "British." I hear British and I think English, as in being from England, but aren't the Welsh and Scots also British?  As in The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland?  Or in that context does British refer to being a Briton (further confusion)?  Where does "Brit" fit in, and is that considered a pejorative?

I genuinely am interested in clearing this up.  I think us Yanks tend to get a bad rap when it comes to understanding other cultures, and it's not exactly undeserved.  For far too many of us anyone from the UK is English.  They've probably never even heard of Wales, and Ireland might as well be on the same island.

Personally, that infuriates me. 

Another example:  my last girlfriend was from Belarus, but unless you have a keen interest in eastern European geography, it's not the kind of country everyone is familiar with.  After too many conversations that went like this:

"Nice accent, where are you from?"
"Belarus."
"Oh, ok…" blank stare
Long explanation about former Soviet Republics.

In casual conversation we just started answering Russia. 

She didn't seem to mind, but I imagine someone from Ukraine or Bulgaria would feel differently. 

Am I right in thinking that the same would go for a Scotsman, Welshman or Irishman with regards to being referred to as English?

Not to get too heavy handed here, but I believe that it is precisely this type of ignorance that is holding us back as a race, and as much as I love my country, we are probably the worst offenders. 

On that note, I would like to start by apologizing on behalf of all Americans.  It is unfortunate that so many of us just don't give a shit, but please know that there are plenty of us that do, and I am one of them. 

Anyway, let the DIF cultural summit commence.

Re: Cultural Exchange

Meh. Altho I'm from a small town to the south, I tell people I'm from South Bend, Indiana, because they maybe have heard of that (Notre Dame University and all). But when I went to the Netherlands I told people I was from "around Chicago". You adjust to your audience.

I'm rather more knowledgeable about the UK than the average Joe because I'm steeped in English literature and British comedy. Even so, I view all of Europe like vintage Universal horror movies: an English-speaking, tweed-wearing, castle-owning, steam-train-riding pastiche.

On the other hand, more than one Dutchman said to me, "Chicago? Oh! Al Capone!"

Last edited by Zarban (2013-10-29 03:28:28)

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Lets face it, others are just as ignorant about the US, or anyplace besides their general part of the world. I joke with my Malaysian friend on how I generally can't tell most asian nationalities apart, while she thinks all us white people look the same. The difference between French and Italians? Damned if she knows unless one is eating pizza smile

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah. I asked this guy from Nigeria which part of the country he was from, just because I wanted to get an idea if he was by the sea, or in the north, or what, and he launches into this HUGE discussion about the history of the country, and all the prejudices involved, and complains about how no one knows anything about Africa…which is all kinda pointless, because he's the only Nigerian I know and probably will ever know. Meanwhile, if I tell him I'm from North Carolina, I get a blank stare. Most people, I just say I'm from the east coast of America. But if I meet someone from the South, I get more specific.

The world's a big place, it's really impossible to keep all the borders and townships at a moment's remembrance.

Posted from my iPad
http://trek.fm

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Try being from New Jersey, but not that part of Jersey.

Oy.

I'd rather be a guido than a ladymouth.

Posted from my iPad

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Give this cool geography game a try and see how far you get. I generally make it to level 7, but with all the country boarders gone, I have a hard time getting further.

"ShadowDuelist is a god."
        -Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'd been getting this wrong my whole life, and only recently decided to study up on the English/British thing.   (But I maintain that my confusion of Angles and Saxons and Normans in the M&C commentary was just a misspeak.  I meant to say Normans, I really did.) 

But now I can say with certainty - until an actual Brit shows up to correct me  - that "English" applies only to someone from the actual country of England, while "British" includes Scotland and Wales (which along with England are collectively "Great Britain).    So a Scot is British, but not English.

And "The United Kingdom" is all of the above plus Northern Ireland. 

And finally the "British Commonwealth" is all of the above, plus a bunch of their former colonies including: (the rest of) Ireland, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, India, South Africa, etc.   

I'm pleased that I now finally know this.  I feel all worldly and shite.

An advantage of being an American is our own history is the easiest to learn in the whole damn world.  We had a war with England and became a country and then we had a war with ourselves and stayed a country and then we had a war with Germany and Japan and won, the end.   The rest is just cars, rock and roll, and a moon landing.   

I can only imagine how much harder it is to learn British history, for starters there's two thousand more years of it. Criminy.

I think the American history movement is a reaction to our being such a freaking BLIP on the world stage. We've only been around for two hundred years, they seem to say, but by golly it's been IMPORTANT!

Posted from my iPad

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Trey wrote:

An advantage of being an American is our own history is the easiest to learn in the whole damn world.  We had a war with England and became a country and then we had a war with ourselves and stayed a country and then we had a war with Germany and Japan and won, the end.   The rest is just cars, rock and roll, and a moon landing.   

I can only imagine how much harder it is to learn British history, for starters there's two thousand more years of it. Criminy.

Then again, instead of just having to know one area's history Americans should know the details on why certain major immigrations happened to the US, and that tacks on quite a bit. All of British, European, Aztec, Mayan, and Native American history is to American history what the Old Testament is to the New Testament. Sure, you can ignore it, but you kind of need it to actually get the right meanings from newer books.

(my dad taught Jr High American history, so I'm a bit of a history nerd)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I think British Commonwealth is officially known as the Commonwealth of Nations these days.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Trey wrote:

But now I can say with certainty - until an actual Brit shows up to correct me  - that "English" applies only to someone from the actual country of England, while "British" includes Scotland and Wales (which along with England are collectively "Great Britain).    So a Scot is British, but not English.

And "The United Kingdom" is all of the above plus Northern Ireland.

That's the jist of it, there are plenty of people who will go out of their way to confuse you by insisting that they are not British when they infact are, due to a misplaced sense of patriotism. "Grrr I'm not British I'm English!"

Scotland and Wales now have their own parliaments, which helps to confuse matters, as well as Scotland having its own bank notes.

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

Trey wrote:

Imagine Swedish history. Dude. I mean, I have, literally, thousand-year old shite in my backyard, and runestones within walking distance.

We even used to own Britain, and half of europe. Yes, Sweden used to be a superpower back then. 'twas epic somehow. Pity I missed it, but I have teh interwebs which can bring me downinfront instead, so I think it's a good compromise wink

/Z

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Trey wrote:

I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure Canadian history is a little simpler.

A shit ton of different explorers landed all over the place, they fucked with the Natives, white man took over, then a bunch of dates when the provinces and territories joined and then a few small revolutions here and there (Mostly the metis whining), plus us kicking the Americans ass a couple of times and then a shit ton of Premiers who no one remembers.

We have a very low key history not to mention we have about a hundred years less of it than you guys do.

ALthough I will admit, I barely know much about my own history (Mostly cause it's very much all the same) let alone a ton about other countries. I could probably walk you through the broad strokes of the various major wars, but outside of that I am unfortunately ignorant of a lot.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

It will come as no surprise to anyone that America's version of history skips over the part where Canada kicked our ass.   

This is the first I've heard of it - was it on a Sunday or something?

Oh yah. It was a helluva sunday too. We had a nice big bonfire, roasted some hotdogs afterwards, cooked up some smores. It was a great time.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Trey wrote:

It will come as no surprise to anyone that America's version of history skips over the part where Canada kicked our ass.

Well, to be fair, it was the British, and many Canadians outside of Ontario probably wish we'd burn Toronto down again. But, yeah, the rest of the world considers the War of 1812 a defeat for the US given we started it and ended up with none of the intended war gains, while the US considers it a win because for awhile it looked like we'd become a colony again but ended up fighting the UK to a draw. Plus the last battle in New Orleans (technically fought after the peace treaty) where we spanked the British sort of had it ending with a big win that came to be all anyone remembered.

(have I mentioned I'm a history geek?)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Invid wrote:

Plus the last battle in New Orleans (technically fought after the peace treaty) where we spanked the British sort of had it ending with a big win that came to be all anyone remembered

So much so that  - I suddenly realize - it was  immortalized in an often-covered country song.   So that's what "The Battle of New Orleans" is about...

Go figure, most of my knowledge about the war of 1812 comes from a Charlie Daniels cover of a novelty tune.

Trey wrote:
Invid wrote:

Plus the last battle in New Orleans (technically fought after the peace treaty) where we spanked the British sort of had it ending with a big win that came to be all anyone remembered

So much so that  - I suddenly realize - it was  immortalized in an often-covered country song.   So that's what "The Battle of New Orleans" is about...

Go figure, most of my knowledge about the war of 1812 comes from a Charlie Daniels cover of a novelty tune.

I think I first heard the song when Sha Na Na did it on their TV show in the 70's smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I know you posted this a while ago, Trey, but I've just seen it, so I'll reply-

Trey wrote:

Yup, I am Scottish/British, not English/British smile It annoys me so many times when people, mostly Americans, say 'I hate the British' when they mean English. The Scots and Irish have done nothing to you guys, you know.  big_smile

I'm pleased that I now finally know this.  I feel all worldly and shite.

Points to Trey for using the word shite big_smile

We had a war with England and became a country

Yeah, Scotland's had a war or two with England too (see Braveheart). Some say we are still at war with them as some Scots still want independence. smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

And they'd be idiots. Same as those fools in Cornwall who want independence. There, it's like a thousand years from now Manhattan deciding they want to be Dutch...

Scotland and England first became united under a Scottish King in the early 17th century, followed by a formal act of union in the very early 18th century (under Queen Anne).  Often times there'll be this misconception that England conquered Scotland and brought her under her heel.

Scots have always held a surprising amount of influence over the union relative to their 'junior position' and were just as involved in all the activities of the Empire as the English. So this concept of hatred of the British being actually a hatred of the English is some pretty good PR work on the part of the Welsh and Scottish.

Scotland is more or less independent already and they don't want to have to go it alone without London supporting them. Scotland gets lots of benefits from being glued to England's hip.

And yeah, there's an unfair perception that Americans should know all about other countries when most people in those countries know jack shit about the US. Even among well educated families not everyone can name and locate every country on the planet - let alone be familiar with cities, towns, mountain ranges etc.

Last edited by redxavier (2010-09-24 20:34:44)

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

redxavier wrote:

And yeah, there's an unfair perception that Americans should know all about other countries when most people in those countries know jack shit about the US. Even among well educated families not everyone can name and locate every country on the planet - let alone be familiar with cities, towns, mountain ranges etc.

I remember last year listening to one of the fxguide family of podcasts and being blown away that Mike Seymour didn't know the significance of the Fourth of July.

Not so much about the fact that he didn't know, as the realization of my own unconscious ethnocentrism in just assuming that everyone did.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Really? I was in Scotland once on the Fourth of July and the radio station was doing a whole thing with it - a theme day if you will.

redxavier wrote:

And they'd be idiots.

I agree

Scots have always held a surprising amount of influence over the union relative to their 'junior position' and were just as involved in all the activities of the Empire as the English. So this concept of hatred of the British being actually a hatred of the English is some pretty good PR work on the part of the Welsh and Scottish.

Wow, I have been brainwashed. Who knew?  From personal experience though, when some americans over the years thought I was English, I did get a lot more shit from them until I said I was Scottish.

Scotland is more or less independent already and they don't want to have to go it alone without London supporting them. Scotland gets lots of benefits from being glued to England's hip.

Yeah, total Independence isn't a good idea.

That is very true. I can't name all of the American states, so why should I, as a foreigner expect Americans to know anything about any where else? I live in a town called Lanark and apart from a very fleeting mention in Braveheart, it'd be stupid for anyone to expect Americans (hell, or even the English) to have heard of it.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Brian Finifter wrote:

Really? I was in Scotland once on the Fourth of July and the radio station was doing a whole thing with it - a theme day if you will.

There's a couple of radio stations that often play only tracks by American artists on 4th of July.

Whereabouts in Scotland were you, Brian? smile

Last edited by Jimmy B (2010-09-24 20:51:19)

Thumbs up Thumbs down