Topic: #54 - Is the VFX industry imploding?

I'm trying the "putting up the video of the stream" thing, maybe just this once. I built up a table of contents in the annotations, and we'll see if anyone actually likes watching these things as opposed to just listening.

I can't imagine anyone particularly will, but gimme some feedback either way.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: #54 - Is the VFX industry imploding?

Oh crap. Now I have to start looking presentable.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Aw. You looked pretty today. Look at that jawline.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

If this is gonna be a thing, I demand more back support so I can sit up and look slightly less like Jabba the Hutt.

If this is gonna be a thing (by which I mean, if it exhibits Useful Consequences and somehow grows our audience by way of accessibility or some other unintended thing) I demand proper chairs for everyone, because now we have to look like people. 

In the meantime, yeah, we'll figure something out. Or we'll make the cameras more... flatteringly oriented.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

http://zedomax.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/dab-of-vaseline-450x270.jpg

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

We are not above that.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Today will be a day long remembered, it has seen the death of the VFX industry and it will soon see the dawn of the Down In Front web-series.

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

"Intern" - the web series?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

In my mind's eye, you are all as handsome as you are charming and witty. Evidence to the contrary shall be summarily dismissed.

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Dave wrote:

http://zedomax.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/dab-of-vaseline-450x270.jpg

The horror! That's the good nifty fifty as well.  sad

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

What's with this 360p res? Can you do it 4K HFR 3D using a 360-degree motion control dolly?

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

On the topic of non-shop based VFX, Anonymous, which contains some wonderful VFX of Shakespearian London was done under exactly that model - the supes set up a shop from scratch in Germany near production, hired equipment & artists, and then they went there separate ways when production wrapped.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

And obviously Disney and Sony do have in-studio VFX departments, so it's not like its' the halcyon when that happened its' dead & gone...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Teague wrote:

If this is gonna be a thing (by which I mean, if it exhibits Useful Consequences and somehow grows our audience by way of accessibility or some other unintended thing) I demand proper chairs for everyone, because now we have to look like people. 

In the meantime, yeah, we'll figure something out. Or we'll make the cameras more... flatteringly oriented.

You're not a TV show. If you're going to have to care about looking good and stuff, I say it's not worth it. I like being here when you record only so I can look at you beautiful people being who you are - friends chillin' on a couch, talking about movies.

(also, saying crap in the chat, but that's another story)

Last edited by Saniss (2013-02-18 13:30:14)

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The lack of stereo audio is definitely annoying.

"Most people don't even know what sysadmins do, but trust me, if they all took a lunch break at the same time they wouldn't make it to the deli before you ran out of bullets protecting your canned goods from roving bands of mutants."

-- http://stilldrinking.org/programming-sucks

Great show.

I have this feeling listening to the show you purposely skated over the vicious dialogue that has been in the VFX world mostly fought in blog posts and on Twitter. Alba had some things to say around the Dear Cameron post and you barely mention Scott Squires, VFXSoldier, Stu, Mike Seymour, Jeff, John Montgomery (plus a host of others) and how brutal some of the back and fourth have been. This transition period in the VFX world has hurt a lot of people financially and the war of ideas has left broken friendships in it's wake. I think this is something that is integral to the dialogue about the state of VFX today.

I understand that you may have wanted to stay neutral in that aspect of what is going on but a brief mention on it might have grounded the discussion and put the "herding of cats" into perspective.

But all in all, great show.

---------------------------------------------
I would never lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation.

So this one I do feel bad that I missed the opportunity to chime in on live, but ... I was at work ... so ...

Only a bit into the ep so far, back in at work, but wanted to address this point as I heard it.

One thing at a time, as a Full Sail vfx grad, yes it could be a diploma mill, but Teague's differentiators for how many grads are working, seemed to me to come off as a Dave does it this way which means that more polished people get out here to actually work, and coming right after the Full Sail discussion seemed to be a counterpoint.  Now not to be contrary, or even to defend Full Sail, with I will stand right up there with others as being more about marketing their seats to fill than possibly is good for it, and definitely the industry, but I also graduated with about 25 people, and that was across folks focusing on modeling, texturing, animating, and I think I was the only compositor in my graduating class, and I can name ... 4-5 that have managed to be "sucessfull" in making their way into the industry in a meaningful way. Some went off to military sims, or graphic design, or back to fullsail to be lab instructors (something that ... just perpetuates a slighly downward spiral of the old idum "those that do do, those that can't teach" not to say that I didn't have knowledgeable and experience teachers, though both of my compositing teachers are now contemporaries out here in LA, that I cross paths with as equals.

So long story short, yes Full Sail can be held up as one of the "let's churn out artist's to dilute the work pool, and drive the rates down" mills, but it does, like Dave, put out some good artists that do a credit to the industry (self justification complete)

See what I've worked on recently here:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2869151/
And ways to get in touch with me at:
http://www.google.com/profiles/SethBrower

I mentioned deGraf/Wahrman in this episode, that's the company where I got into this whole crazy "computer graphics" business in 1988.  Michael Wahrman, the co-founder of that company, has an even longer and more jaded perspective on the industry than I do.   

He's got a blog where he opines about various things, including the CG business, and his post this morning has some relevance to the topic at hand.

Computer Graphics and the Doctrines of Original and Derivative Sin

Only part way through the episode but I had some early thoughts and questions.
First of all, I do enjoy the video feed and find very fun. As long as it doesn't take away from your guys ability to do the show or its too much work for Teague to do.
Secondly, I have a question for the industry professionals here. Would a VFX union have helped companies like Rhythm and Hues or other companies? As Trey mentioned, having a union would have increased the cost of companies to produce works, so it could have driven the bankruptcy to occur sooner. I know its a mixed bag so I kind of want other perspectives on the idea of a union.
However, it is also interesting that the way this industry has gone, with the constant underbidding and underbidding by competing companies and creating this issue. Again, I'm not in the industry but the idea that companies are going out business because of bad business decisions is a painful but part of business, as glib as that sounds.
I am wondering at the future of the industry with this kind of downfall and the business practices that led to it if any lessons will be learned and practices will be changed. So, while the free market and have led to this, there is the potential that a new kind of VFX industry could come out.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Trey wrote:

I mentioned deGraf/Wahrman in this episode, that's the company where I got into this whole crazy "computer graphics" business in 1988.  Michael Wahrman, the co-founder of that company, has an even longer and more jaded perspective on the industry than I do.   

He's got a blog where he opines about various things, including the CG business, and his post this morning has some relevance to the topic at hand.

Computer Graphics and the Doctrines of Original and Derivative Sin

http://25.media.tumblr.com/d8a4ac1f889e1f729b05119d78a91594/tumblr_mf7pv4aiJD1rxz72xo1_1280.jpg

God loves you!

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

The difference in color temperature between the first frame and the second two is killing me.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Which is why you are going mad wink

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/527982_573702262642335_704889287_n.jpg

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Teague wrote:

The difference in color temperature between the first frame and the second two is killing me.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. hmm

ZangrethorDigital.ca