Re: #44 - Disney Buys Lucasfilm

Ash, did you make that poster?

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

No no, I'm one of the admins on the biggest Icelandic Star Wars FB page (there are more than one). It's been getting a lot of traction today.

---------------------------------------------
I would never lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation.

Looks sweet to me.
I still want more space battles but it is a well done poster.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

While there were certainly more interesting choices out there, I'm coming to terms with JJ Abrams. With him directing and Arndt writing the script, there's at least a pair of capable people at the helm. It's one thing to have a writer/director pair that you "think" can pull it off versus a pair that you "know" has the capability, at least. I would have preferred Bird or Aronofsky for a single flick, or Jackson for a new trilogy...but I'm comforted some to know what I'm getting -- and with Abrams you know what you're signing up for.

I think my biggest worry will that this will feel too much like Star Trek, because JJ's not really known for his range of "looks". Considering how much New Trek can feels Star Wars-like, it's entirely possible that you could watch the films back to back and not see much of a difference...and that'd be a shame, in my opinion.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re-posting in honor JJ:

*LENS FLARE*

While there *LENS FLARE* were certainly more *LENS FLARE* interesting choices out there, I'm coming to terms *LENS FLARE* with JJ Abrams. With him *LENS FLARE* directing and Arndt writing the script *LENS FLARE*, there's at least a pair of capable people *LENS FLARE* at the helm. It's one *LENS FLARE* thing to have a *LENS FLARE* writer/director pair that you "think" can pull it off versus a pair *LENS FLARE* that you "know" has the *LENS FLARE* capability, at least. I would *LENS FLARE* have preferred Bird or Aronofsky for a single flick, or *LENS FLARE* Jackson for a new trilogy...but I'm comforted *LENS FLARE* some to know what I'm *LENS FLARE* getting -- and with Abrams you *LENS FLARE* know what you're signing up for. *LENS FLARE**LENS FLARE**LENS FLARE**LENS FLARE**LENS FLARE*

I *LENS FLARE* think my biggest worry will *LENS FLARE* that this will feel too much like Star Trek *LENS FLARE*, because JJ's not really known *LENS FLARE* for his range of "looks" *LENS FLARE* *LENS FLARE* *LENS FLARE*. Considering how much New Trek can feels Star *LENS FLARE* Wars-like, it's entirely possible that you could *LENS FLARE* watch the films back to back and not see much of a *LENS FLARE* difference...and that'd *LENS FLARE* be a shame, in my opinion.*LENS FLARE*

*LENS FLARE*

Thumbs up Thumbs down

BBQ wrote:

Jackson for a new trilogy

It makes me sad that my immediate gut reaction to this idea is "Ew, no."

BBQ wrote:

JJ's not really known for his range of "looks".

This is interesting to me. I'm hearing this a lot but nobody was raising this as an issue when Fincher was the rumored choice, and his movies look WAY more similar to each other than JJ's do.

Personally, I think SUPER 8 shows JJ is very capable of emulating an aesthetic while still making a modern film, so having him on Ep7 is one of our best shots of having a film that actually feels like the original trilogy. As long as he doesn't bring in Orci/Kurtzman/Lindelof to mess with the Arndt script I think we're in good hands.

BBQ wrote:

*LENS FLARE*

Ugh. Guys. This joke burned down 20 years ago.

This goes against your point, by the way, as the lens-flare-heavy STAR TREK was a very distinct "look" compared to MI:3 and SUPER 8 (the latter of which had some anamorphic flaring but nothing like the deliberately blinding nature of TREK's).

Last edited by Dorkman (2013-01-26 18:20:11)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Dorkman wrote:
BBQ wrote:

JJ's not really known for his range of "looks".

This is interesting to me. I'm hearing this a lot but nobody was raising this as an issue when Fincher was the rumored choice, and his movies look WAY more similar to each other than JJ's do.

Personally, I think SUPER 8 shows JJ is very capable of emulating an aesthetic while still making a modern film, so having him on Ep7 is one of our best shots of having a film that actually feels like the original trilogy. As long as he doesn't bring in Orci/Kurtzman/Lindelof to mess with the Arndt script I think we're in good hands.

Also, it is very important to remember that Abrams is a fan of Star Wars while he never really watched or cared about Star Trek. I think there is much more of a chance that he'll actually make a Star Wars film rather than a 'JJ Abrams' one......

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Dorkman wrote:
BBQ wrote:

Jackson for a new trilogy

It makes me sad that my immediate gut reaction to this idea is "Ew, no."

Admittedly, considering that Hobbit seems to have shown Jackson going a bit in the way of Lucas, I can see how you could have that reaction. Given LOtR, I felt as though he could accomplish a "universe-building" trilogy that future films could build upon -- sort of creating a new foundation, rather than an extension of the existing SW universe.

I don't have much hope it will happen, but I still would rather see the new movies start far into the future of the original trilogies -- where Luke/Leia/Solo are the "legends" told in stories, instead of a movie that takes place with a 60 year old Luke retired on Dagobah or something. Fresh start.

Dorkman wrote:

Personally, I think SUPER 8 shows JJ is very capable of emulating an aesthetic while still making a modern film...

That might be true, but S8 was also an inherently hollow film, as well. Other than the guy who derailed the train at the beginning, no one in the movie has any impact on the plot. At all. I enjoyed the ride, sure, but I want more from Star Wars than just a ride. Granted, that's more up to Arndt than JJ.

Plus, while the general stereotype is the lens flare, I wasn't limiting the fact that JJ has a very set "feel" to having that. Nor was I saying that the aesthetic itself was in of itself a bad thing for SW...merely that I'd rather Star Trek and Star Wars to not feel like the same type of films, since the core of their universes are actually quite different. Super 8 and Star Trek "feel" very similar to me while watching, even as they are quite different films. Again, don't blow my comments out of proportion...it's just some thoughts thrown at a sounding board -- not deep concerns or anything.

Dorkman wrote:

Ugh. Guys. This joke burned down 20 years ago.

So you feel that joke burned down around the time JJ was writing "Forever Young" and "Regarding Henry"? wink

Jimmy B wrote:

Also, it is very important to remember that Abrams is a fan of Star Wars while he never really watched or cared about Star Trek. I think there is much more of a chance that he'll actually make a Star Wars film rather than a 'JJ Abrams' one......

I'd imagine Disney hired him in part because of his recognizable style...but I do consider him a very competent director, so I'm with you on that hope. He certainly has the ability to take his particular style, blend in some influence from the original trilogy, and come up with something really great.

And...not to get way to ahead of the curve, but I'm curious if -- like Trek at this point -- he'll now have the metaphorical reigns of the franchise, or if Disney intends to do what was originally reported (pumping out new movies every few years) which would logistically be tough to do with a single director.

Last edited by BBQ (2013-01-26 19:34:14)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ya, it's tough to get on board because I simply haven't enjoyed any of his films that much up to this point, but that isn't necessarily a reason to write him off. He's consistently made movies that are competent, but flawed and not very memorable, which is not what I want out of a new Star Wars.

That being said, as has been pointed out, he may be the right guy for the job on this one given how much he turned Star Trek into a Star Wars movie and as it's well known that he's a fan.

The biggest worries for me then are how he's going to handle the action and how he's going to handle the score.

Up till this point, I've not been a fan of his approach to action, which tends to be way too shaky, cutty, and close-up. I really disliked how he shot the space battle stuff in Star Trek for this reason, the guy seems terrified of Wide establishing shots and almost every Enterprise shot was a medium shot or a close up.
My fear is we'll get a movie that feels decent, but doesn't have any kick-ass memorable sequences in it (kind of like Superhero origin story movies where they save all the good stuff for a sequel).
The juries still out until Star Trek Into Darkness comes out though, because just off the trailer it looks really impressive visually.

Regarding the score, if we're lucky John Williams will still be with us and willing to finish out the new trilogy. If we're going to have all the original cast back, I feel like we need that continuity of bringing back Williams.
If not, the writing is on the wall that it'll be Giachinno. My dislike for his Star Trek score is well documented, but if it has to be him, my hope is that JJ being a big fan of the originals can convince Giachinno to not fuck with the original feel and write something that feels similar in style. If he pulls another Star Trek though, I'm officially done with the guy.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

BBQ wrote:

...but I'm comforted some to know what I'm getting -- and with Abrams you know what you're signing up for.

And just to double check...you're citing this as a...positive thing?

ZangrethorDigital.ca

bullet3 wrote:

Regarding the score, if we're lucky John Williams will still be with us and willing to finish out the new trilogy. If we're going to have all the original cast back, I feel like we need that continuity of bringing back Williams. If not, the writing is on the wall that it'll be Giachinno. My dislike for his Star Trek score is well documented, but if it has to be him, my hope is that JJ being a big fan of the originals can convince Giachinno to not fuck with the original feel and write something that feels similar in style. If he pulls another Star Trek though, I'm officially done with the guy.

I honestly hope it's not Williams; the man hasn't done anything remotely memorable in the last decade or so save "Hedwig's Theme". I'm personally really hoping Giacchino does do it. I love his music for the Trek reboot; it's not the most epic stuff out there, but it's fun and adventurous and really fit the movie.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I'm glad it's JJ. The film snob in me is all, "Bullshit, it should have been Duncan Jones or Danny Boyle or something," but I'm actually pretty happy about it. He IS a safe choice, an obvious choise, but It's like DiF said on the Harry Potter commentary, you get Chris Columbus in to set up the world, then you can bring in Alfonso Cuaron to fuck around with it. A new trilogy needs somebody like George Lucas on the original, do the job, get it done, keep it simple, get us invested, then let the more obscure choices come out and play. This is a tough balancing act for Disney, they've got to lure in kids and anybody else who's not already into Star Wars, the saga fans who love all six movies, and the original trilogy purists who were burned by the prequels. Given his success with Star Trek, it seems fair to assume Abrams can do it.

As for his stylistic merit... I know people were into Joss Whedon for the job more for his writing than anything, but they wanted him to direct as well. I've always thought of Whedon and Abrams as Kindred spirits when it comes to direction. Serenity and Star Trek definitely have a common ancestor, the two of them stage their action in very similar ways. I don't know why the internet at large is all hot for Whedon but down on Abrams. Is it cool to hate him already?

A minor but exciting aside for me... JJ's involvement almost certainly means this one is going to be shot on film. The grand digital experiment was just one more thing separating Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith from really feeling like Star Wars. Subtle though it may have been. Not that I have any problem with digital filmmaking at all, but within a series it's good to have that cohesion. It bothers me that Aliens is randomly 1.85:1, too.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Well, there's just the simple fact that Williams is 80 years old, and by the time there's a movie to be scored he'll be 82.    Disney's going to be making these for years to come, and there will have to be a handoff of the composing job at some point.   It's just a question of when.

I think there should be a different composer for each of the films in the new trilogy. But that's probably just me.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It's tough to say without knowing what they're doing with the Trilogy. If it is a proper trilogy that's meant to flow together like 1 big story, then there's something to be said for continuity of the composer to tie things together. If it's more of a loose thing like the early Star Trek films, then I prefer they change it up and give different people a crack at it each time. I definitely hope they change up directors each time out, I don't want to wait 10-20 years for a Brad Bird Star Wars, and by then who knows if he'll still be the awesome director he is today. I can't imagine Abrams wants to do 3 star wars movies back to back.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

But it's also theoretically possible that for the next five or six years, there'll be either a new Star Trek or a new Star Wars every year... all directed by the same guy.   

No, I don't think that'll actually be the case.  But I'd almost like to see that, if only because the online Star Trek vs Star Wars arguments would get so weird.

They won't do that because Abrams can't do a giant tent-pole movie every year, and Disney won't wait four years for another Star Wars movie.

Enter: Guillermo del Toro.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

And in the opposite corner... Zack Snyder.  Again.

FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!
smile  neutral  sad  big_smile  yikes  wink  hmm  tongue  lol  mad  roll  cool

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Zarban wrote:

They won't do that because Abrams can't do a giant tent-pole movie every year, and Disney won't wait four years for another Star Wars movie.

Enter: Guillermo del Toro.

My turn to be wary. I don't think del Toro could do a good job with Star Wars, just like I was with him and Halo.

And I agree with C-Spin and the Abrams hatred. I honestly cannot figure out where it is all coming from. With "Lost" he seemed pretty popular, at least until the show jumped the island. Then he fielded MI movies with mixed success. I personally liked MI-3 but that was me and I wasn't terribly invested in it. So, Abrams was barely on my radar.

Then Star Trek comes out and the Internet hates him. Not just the film-him. I get not liking Star Trek, though some objections make no sense to me, but people don't seem to like to talk about it any more. Every article I have read about this announcement has led to hatred comments about Abrams and what a poor choice he is for this film.

So, I ask, honestly, why the hatred towards the man? Don't like his film or films? Ok, but man it seems a bit thick to me.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Speaking personally. I don't hate the guy, far from it. I'm just sick of turning every goddamn corner and finding JJ there. I can't get away from him. And as already been stated several times in this thread, you know EXACTLY what you're going to get with JJ, and what he gives isn't anything I particularly enjoy . Star Trek was fine enough, but I haven't actually liked anything JJ's done. It all feels bland and if you asked me to pick a particular project out of a line up I probably couldn't. Like we've said, you know exactly what you're going to get with JJ, so why should I bother watching anything he's going to make from here on out? And it absolutely baffles me how he can be all of that, and still have tent pole after tent pole just thrown at him like he's some sort of film making demi-god.

Personally I think there are dozens of directors out there that are infinitely better suited to direct a Star Wars movie (Or any of the movies JJ's been given lately), who make me beyond EXCITED, who would make me amped and pumped up to see the new Star Wars. But instead we get..."Well...he's probably not gonna fuck it up, and I'm sure it'll look pretty...just like everything else he's ever made."

So I don't hate the guy, I just can't understand why everyone else keeps treating him like he's the second coming.

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2013-01-27 05:52:03)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

This is going to sound weird, but I really don't get why people were clamoring for directors with distinctive visions to take on Episode VII. JJ is perfect for the film precisely because he isn't as distinctive as del Toro or Fincher. His sensibility fits the Star Wars universe perfectly. The further you stray from the feel and tone of the original trilogy, the more chance you have to fuck it up. Would I love to see Zack Snyder's take on the Star Wars universe? Absolutely. But is someone like him right for Episode VII? I don't think so.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

This is about to get very ragey for a short time so I apologize in advance, and I know most of you arn't going to agree with me, so just bear with me.

I want a director with a vision, because I'm sick and fucking tired of movies with no vision, movies that we are perfectly happy sit back and call "Perfectly workable" and then move on in our lives. I'm sick of not being able to be excited about movies, I'm sick of the most joyous thing I can say about a new project is "Well...they probably won't fuck it up." I want to be screaming in joy at the thought of a movie being made. I want to be able to look at something afterwards and say it was fucking amazing. I'm sick and fucking tired of walking out of theatres going, yep, there was another one of those. I'm saying this about Star Wars because I want to be saying it every goddamn movie these days, but Star Wars is big and exciting, and vast and filled with unending vats of inspiration and potential. And I want to be able to look back at a movie like that and say it was fucking awesome, not, yep, that was a definitely a solidly built piece of movie making. I want to be rejoicing in the streets at the pure unbridled joy of experiencing this story and this universe, not sitting back in my seat with a curt nod and some minute sense of respect for the film making craft displayed. I want to see someone, anyone, stand up and go yep we're doing something bold and amazing here, and if you don't like it, there's the fucking door.

Again...I really want to be saying this about every movie, but Star Wars is the matter at hand, and frankly everything surrounding it screams for something bold and dramatic to be done. To continue this legend of bizarrity and insanity that has led to this point. I'll remind you, 3 months ago, we were NEVER EVER getting another Star Wars movie. And now we're sitting here arguing about the director, that's fucking nuts.

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2013-01-27 07:02:30)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I'll agree with one point, BDA, that it is nuts that we are getting another Star Wars movies.

Here's my things that people may or may not agree with.

I was not excited that JJ got Star Trek. I wasn't excited with any of the cast. My load of skepticism was probably as big as my house. Then it happens and I loved the movie. Why? Because it told a story but also had action and adventure. I think I am alone (and feel a little elitist but that is not my point) that there is a beautiful story of a man becoming more than he was in the heart of JJ's Trek.

I do apologize if I have made this point before so please bear with me-i'll try to be quick. Star Trek 2009 was a fun, actiony romp, with a heart. There is more heart than I usually see in most tent pole films. You don't have to agree and many don't.

But the reason I get excited is that JJ provides some depth to films that seem to get missed. So, I think with a talented writer, JJ has the potential to bring some fun, actiony work to Star Wars that also has a heart.

I get people's skepticism but I am excited. Maybe more news will help with that

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down